I did my first Investment with my CPF Ordinary Account

Yes, I finally opened up a CPF Investment Account (CPFIA) for my OA with DBS and the first Investment I did with my CPF OA is the Oct 1 year T bill as mentioned in my previous post.

I didn’t go for ETFs like S&P 500 using Endows because I may need the money in my OA for my housing loan in around 3 years' time when my fixed interest rate mortgage term is up.

If the bank's mortgage rate is higher than the CPF OA interest at that point, I will have the choice to repay the loan using my CPF OA and lowering the monthly payment.

Considering the short term need for my OA money, I went for a low risk instrument like Government T-bills to boost my OA interest. I am hoping that this Oct issue will have a yield of 3.2% or more to make all these effort worthwhile.

Setting up my CPFIA was pretty straight forward. I did it all online with DBS using their Digibot. The whole application process took less than 10 mins. The approval took a few working days and they sent me a letter to confirm the successful opening of the account as well as the CPFIA account number.

The more troublesome part is the T-bill application. To do that, it has to be in person at the bank. I queued up at a DBS branch for around an hour just so that I can fill up the paper application form…. Yes paper form in this day and age…. for the Oct 1 year T-bill.

There are 3 things you need to know/have when you go for the application. It was my first time and the staff there was kind and patient enough to guide me along.

First, you need to know the investible amount you have in your OA. To check that, you can log on to CPF and under investment you will be able to see your investible amount from your OA and SA.


You will see that the amount for professionally managed product, stocks and gold are different. You should be able to invest all of your OA less $20,000 in professionally managed product which includes T-bills and Singapore government bonds.


You have to make sure the amount of T-bill you want to purchase is within your investible amount in professionally managed product. If not, the transaction will fail and you will pay for the transaction fee for nothing.

Next, you will need to know which issue code of the T-bills you want to purchase. You can easily find that in MAS website for T-bills.


Lastly you will need to have a hard or soft copy of the completion of the CPF Investment Scheme Self-Awareness Questionnaire (SAQ). You can go to CPF SAQ site to go through the Modules and take the quiz. After you have completed that, there should be an acknowledgment screen as a proof of your completion and you can take a screen shot or download the pdf of that. You can then print it out or email them when you are there.

With all these, the application process should go smooth. Finally do take note that after the maturity of the T-bills, the money will go to your CPFIA NOT your CPF OA. You will need to manually transfer the money from your CPFIA back to your CPF OA via internet banking. Set a reminder for that so you won't forget and missed out on the CPF OA interest.

[Updates on 13 Oct 2022: With regards to the withdrawal of funds from OA, it is different from cash. For cash, the funds will be withdrawn from your bank account Before the auction date and the interest will be refunded upon allocation. For CPF, they will only withdraw the money from your CPF OA less interest upon allocation. Hence withdrawal of funds from your OA will happen a few days After the auction date and not before.]

[Updates on 14 Oct 2022: the money less interest had been deducted from my CPF OA 1 day after the Auction date]

Get your free $35 NTUC vouchers and more with Trust Bank here

Check out the CPFcalculator to plan for your retirement now!

As always, thanks for reading and do support me on my referral page. Stay Safe and Happy CPFing!


I did my first Investment with my CPF Ordinary Account I did my first Investment with my CPF Ordinary Account Reviewed by Valuewarrior on October 08, 2022 Rating: 5

11 comments:

  1. You went for 1 yr tbill? Some are saying better to go for 6 mth tbill & then applying 6 months later for either 6 mth, 1yr or longer SGS as the interest rates will have gone up significantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I went for the 12 months one. I split up my investible OA into a few tranches so that I can take advantage future t bills with higher yield. 6 month is abit too short for my liking. It's quite inconvenient to go in person for the application... Haha

      Delete
  2. Hi bro
    I login to my CPF and do a check on the CPF Investment Scheme Self-Awareness questionnaires (SAQ) and the printout is
    Xxxxxxxxx of CPF Account number SnnnnnnnZ is a existing participant under the CPF Investment Scheme.
    Does that mean I have already do the questionnaire.
    Please enlighten. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that means you have a CPFIA already? This probably mean you have done the SAQ before. There should be a link for you to check your the SAQ status. It's ok to do it again if you are not sure.

      Delete
  3. Hi bro
    Do you go for the Competitive Bid or non
    Competitive Bid when you apply for the t-bill.
    BTW how do Competitive Bid work.
    Please advise. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went for non competitive bid. I only indicated the amount I want to participate but not the yield. I would get the t bills at cut off yield which is the highest accepted yield of the competitive bids.

    For competitive bid, you get to specify the amount and the yield above which you are willing to accept the t bills. So if the cut off yield is below your bids, you won't get any allocation. If the cut off yield is above your bid, you will get allocated. Note that non competitive bid have priority in allocation.

    You can read more about competitive and non competitive bids from the site below

    https://www.mas.gov.sg/bonds-and-bills/investing-in-singapore-government-securities/how-sgs-auctions-are-conducted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi bro
    For non competive bid using CPF and if the return is less than 2.71 percent we will get lesser than the CPF return for one year t-bill
    Example
    100000 CPF will pay you 2500 + 208=2708 (208 is for the month of transaction which CPF will not pay any interest as CPF compute interest monthly)
    And if result is only 1.5 percent then the return is very much lesser than CPF.

    To prevent this is to bid competitive bid

    From my understanding if we bid for competitive bid of 2.8 percent and the return is 3.3 percent.
    T-bill will still pay 3.33 percent.

    This is what I want to confirm.
    Please advise if you has any idea of this
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Your analysis is correct based on my understanding. You can put a competitive bid to be sure you won't loss out to CPF OA interest. You should get the cut off yield if your bid is lower than that.

      I guess I should do that on hindsight. Hopefully the yield for the oct 12 months t bills doesn't fall to less than 3%

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Did DBS withdraw your funds immediately or after auction date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. The fund is still in my OA. I believe it will take a couple of days to process and has to be before the Auction date.

      Delete
    2. An updated on the withdrawal of funds from OA. The funds is still not being withdrawn from my OA yet. I gave the bank a call and they told me that this is different from Cash where they will withdraw the cash from your bank and refund you the interest. For CPF, they will only withdraw the cash less interest after allocation. So the withdrawal date will be a few days AFTER auction dates. Apologies for the confusion before.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.