Reflecting on 2018



Happy 2019 everyone!

It seems always customary to have a look back at how your year went at the end of the year. So with no exception, here is a reflection of What Went Well and What Went Hell for me in 2018.

What Went Well

1)    Topped up my CPF and my Mom’s CPF again to get tax relief for 2018. I did that in 2017 as well and I will most likely be doing it again in 2019.

2)    Transferred my OA to SA to get that extra 1.5% interest for 2018. That interest was deposited on New Year’s Eve. Best New Year’s gift ever to start my 2019.

3)    Continue to collected dividends for 2018. However, I did not manage to hit my target of 120K investment @ 5% dividend. In fact, the dividend I had received had dropped from 2017. I really need to focus and build up my portfolio in 2019.

4)    Working on a Start-up with my friends. Not sure how that will pan out but I'm definitely learning a lot from it. Will continue to work on it in 2019

What Went Hell

1)    2018 was a pretty bad year for Cryptocurrency. Okay, "pretty bad" is an understatement, Crypto had done VERY BAD for 2018. Needless to say, my crypto portfolio was badly affected as well. I haven't been really keeping track but I think I am about 80% down. I had blogged about this a few months back here and it had since then headed further south with ETH ending 2018 at around USD$130.

2)    The stock market took a hit as well during the 2nd half of 2018. Of course my portfolio was not spared. Most of my gains were erased at the end of 2018. Well despite that, I see this as a good opportunity to get my war chest ready and do some bargain hunting in the New Year.

Moving forward, I hope 2019 will be a year of focus and clarity for me. Focus on what I want to do and achieve and chart out a clear way to do that. 

Happy Value Investing and Happy 2019 again.

Reflecting on 2018 Reflecting on 2018 Reviewed by Valuewarrior on January 01, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.