What I Learned after I Installed a Pull Up Bar at Home

Installing a pull-up bar in my doorway taught me that reducing friction builds habits far better than relying on motivation. Motivation is a feeling, and are inherently inconsistent. Change your environment so the habit can be built with the least resistance possible, even on days you do not feel like it. The same principle applies directly to building long-term wealth.


Zero to Six Pull-Ups in Three Months

I started going to the Gym August 2024, after my knee surgery to trained on my leg. I also trained on pull ups and cardio. More than a year later, I am still struggling to do one pull up. This is mainly because i wasn't consistent. I wanted to go to the Gym 3 times a week but that dropped to 2 and then 1 over time. 

3 months ago, I installed a simple pull-up bar in my doorway. Today, I can do six. 

Nothing about my core motivation changed. Some mornings, I still do not feel like exercising. What changed is that the bar sits directly in a doorway I walk through a dozen times a day. I don't need to make a conscious effort to "go work out." I just grab the bar, pull myself up once which takes three seconds and before I know it, I'm warmed up for a full set.

Motivation Fades

Motivation feels great when you have it, but it is temporary by design. It fluctuates based on your sleep, stress levels, and daily mood none of which you fully control. If a good habit depends on feeling motivated, its success is left purely to chance.

Friction is different because you can control it. You can actively reduce the physical or mental steps standing between you and the action you want to take. Shrink that gap enough, and the habit becomes your default setting easier to execute than to skip. That is exactly why a simple doorway bar worked.

Applying the Pull-Up Principle to Personal Finance

This exact mechanism explains why if you are not saving or investing consistently, you should automate it. If your wealth-building strategy requires you to manually log into your brokerage account, analyze the market, and transfer funds every single month, you are relying entirely on motivation and will power. Some months you will be busy, some months you will hesitate, and some months you will simply forget.

Set up an automatic transfer on payday instead, and the decision friction disappears:

  • Zero Hesitation: The money moves to your savings, investment or CPF/SRS accounts before you have a chance to spend or talk yourself out of it.
  • Zero Reliance on Willpower: You aren't necessarily more disciplined than someone who invests manually you simply eliminated the exact moment where discipline was required.

Just as placing a bar in a doorway removed my daily decision to exercise, automating your investments removes the monthly decision to build wealth.


I didn't become a radically more disciplined person over the last three months. I simply became someone who designed an environment with zero friction between himself and his goals. Stop waiting for motivation to strike. Automate your financial habits and let your environment do the heavy lifting for you.

Use my referral link (2HNL05JZ) and sign up for Maribank to get the promotional cash bonus! Find out more about the promotion here

Thanks for reading and do support me on my referral page.

Check out the CPFcalculator to plan for your retirement now!

What I Learned after I Installed a Pull Up Bar at Home What I Learned after I Installed a Pull Up Bar at Home Reviewed by Valuewarrior on July 26, 2026 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.